The Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation is a 501(c)(3) California not-for-profit corporation founded in 1978 with an initial gift from David and Lucile Packard. The Aquarium opened to the public in 1984, and attracts close to two million visitors annually.
- Living exhibits of marine life from Monterey Bay and beyond
- Free education programs for more than 80,000 schoolchildren and educators each year
- Scientific research involving threatened ocean species, including sea otters, tunas and white sharks
- Seafood Watch, which works to transform the seafood market so it favors sustainable fisheries and fish farming
- Advocacy efforts to inspire action for ocean conservation and to transform ocean policy