- Summit Kickoff: October 5–6, 2018
- Mid-year Check-in: February 9, 2019
- Final Project Symposium: May 10, 2019
Applications open August 13, 2018.
About the Program
Do you live like you love the ocean? Are you ready to help your students live like they love the ocean? Join us for an action-based summit that prepares and motivates teachers to be part of the plastic pollution solution! This series is designed for teachers who are ready to go in-depth into plastic pollution issues and solutions with their students.
Each day, we throw away about 300 million tons of petroleum-based plastic bottles, bags, utensils, packaging and other so-called disposable items. Sadly, these disposable plastics will persist in the environment and may travel throughout the global food web forever. Sessions will focus on the science behind plastics issues, project ideas for the classroom and networking opportunities.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Full-time 3rd through 12th grade classroom teachers
- Teams of two to three teachers from the same or nearby schools are encouraged
- Attend all three program sessions
- Implement a student-led action project that reduces single-use plastic consumption in your school or community
- Actively participate in the Aquarium's online professional development community
Related Classroom Activities:
- Tammy Rinkenberger, 7th grade teacher
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Phone: (831) 648-4862
Fax: (831) 647-4526