Middle School Project-Based
July 22–26, 2013
About the Program
Are you looking for dynamic experiences to invigorate your teaching practice and your students' learning? Are you looking to enhance your curriculum with student-driven projects and inquiry-based activities? Are you interested in equipping your students with 21st century skills to help them succeed in this ever-changing world?
If yes, then come have fun with us this summer!
This free institute provides opportunities to:
You'll return to your classroom with skills and materials to:
- Collaborate with colleagues and learn about the project-based science process and how it fits into your classroom.
- Integrate different technologies into your curriculum such as iPads and Web 2.0 applications through local field sites.
- Go behind the scenes to learn about our current research projects, new exhibits and the operation of a world-class aquarium.
- Engage in discussions with scientists and experts in the field.
- Network with other middle school teachers for support and advice throughout the year!
- Employ project-based strategies to engage your students in real science.
- Introduce your students to diverse marine science and conservation topics relating to your standards.
- Implement new hands-on, inquiry-based activities that address the Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
This summer, re-energize with the Aquarium's Middle School Project-Based Science Institute and spark your students' desire to explore, investigate and understand their world. Priority is given to school teams, so invite your colleagues! We encourage interdisciplinary school teams to apply.
6th through 8th grade teachers
- Attend all sessions Monday through Friday during the summer.
- Participate in follow-up sessions throughout the school year.
- Implement a project with your students.
- Integrate technology into your classroom.
- Share your project with the group at the end of the year.
- Participate in an online professional learning community throughout the school year.
$100 per day is available upon completion of the program.
Units are available through CSU Monterey Bay for an additional fee.
More Information:Complete details
Registration is now closed.
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Phone: (831) 648-4862
Fax: (831) 647-4526