Thanks to our generous donors, the Bechtel Education Center represents a new hope for the future of the ocean.
We began construction in fall 2016. We'll start hosting programs in the new building this summer.
Bechtel Education Center Features
- Located just a few blocks from the Aquarium on Cannery Row
- Four stories, 26,000 square feet
- Four learning labs with live animal displays
- Collaborative learning spaces
- Multipurpose room for large gatherings and student lunches
- Rooftop garden and meeting space
- Public exhibit space
- Designed to meet U.S. Green Building Council's LEED gold standards for sustainability, including the use of solar panels, a living roof and water conservation features
Inspiring the Next Wave of Ocean Leaders
The $42 million center is a historic investment in science education and youth development. We offer the most innovative suite of educational programs of any aquarium in the nation — free of charge.
Field TripsField trips to the Aquarium can include hands-on lessons about ocean life in our learning labs.