About the Institute
Explore the amazing animals of Monterey Bay's marine ecosystems first-hand. With colleagues, Aquarium educators and scientists, you'll conduct your own field investigations, learn to implement science notebooks, and experience how authentic science writing can improve your students' science literacy. With a focus on Systems—one of Next Generation Science Standards' crosscutting concepts—you'll learn how to integrate process skills, science and engineering practices, and technology to get your students excited about protecting the world's oceans.
This free institute provides opportunities to:
- Engage in inquiry-based activities that support the Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Explore, question, investigate, collaborate and create at the Aquarium and at local field sites.
- Integrate language arts, math and social studies with science content and process skills.
- Network with Aquarium educators and colleagues from around California.
Teams of full-time 3rd through 5th grade classroom teachers
- Attend all summer sessions and Saturday follow-ups during the school year.
- Implement the curriculum with your students and share your efforts with institute participants.
- Lead an in-service or action project at your school site or district.
- Participate in the Aquarium's online professional development community.
$100 per day is available upon completion of the program.
Units are available through CSU Monterey Bay for an additional fee.
More Information:Apply now
Applications are due April 7.
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Phone: (831) 648-4862
Fax: (831) 647-4526