Recruitment for summer 2020 is now open.
The Teen Conservation Leader program provides an important volunteer service to the Aquarium, our guests and our communities. During a fun and intensive two-week training at the beginning of the summer, students learn basic marine biology and ocean conservation. Upon completion of the training, students provide exhibit interpretation for our guests. As a Teen Conservation Leader, students develop important job and life skills, build self-confidence and earn community service hours.
During their first summer, TCL students participate in the Guest Track. Students hone their interpretation skills and provide enriching guests experiences. Students become familiar with Aquarium stories and animals while sharing their passion for conservation. Applicants should have an interest in actively communicating with visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
Additional volunteer opportunities are available only to TCL volunteers who have participated in the summer program. These opportunities include assisting in special events at the Aquarium, supporting a variety of education programs, or interpreting exhibits for guests.
Requirements for Applying:
- Grade level: Entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade next fall
- Ages: At least 14 years old by June 8, 2020
- Demonstrate an eagerness to learn and to work with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Be proficient in English and comfortable with science vocabulary
- Volunteer for approximately eight-hour days as assigned
- Be available to attend all important program dates
Important 2020 Dates:
Applications and recommendations forms due
Interviews by invitation only
Mandatory two-week training
June 8–August 1
June 30; July 7, 21 & 28
Summer Conservation Events
How to Apply:
Applications and recommendation forms for summer 2020 are available online through February 2. Each applicant must submit one recommendation form along with the application.
- Complete the online application
- Share the link to the recommendation form to a trusted adult
- Submit both application and recommendation forms by February 2